Friday, December 16, 2005

Recording the Results

Thursday December 15 and Friday December 16, 2005

The last two days were taken up with housekeeping.

A standard template (Excel spreadsheet) was distributed to record the information from the flip charts. Chris went back to Baton Rouge for some training. Cliff and I spent Thursday morning recording our information and we were one of the first to e-mail it into Baton Rouge.

In the afternoon there was a group meeting for the three Parishes in our region. There is a person assigned to be the region leader but he seems to be one of the no-shows. The team leader for Beauregard Parish was the first person out here and did the preliminary evaluation of the three Parishes. While waiting for the regional lead, he is acting in that capacity.

This person seems competent and experienced. He worked on a FEMA long-term recovery effort in Missouri. I think that this is both a benefit and a liability. On the plus side he has set up and run a storefront before. On the negative side that was a much smaller effort requiring much less coordination and he seems to be chaffing at the way the current management is trying to organize things.

He and I have very different management styles. By his own description he is a bit cynical. My impression is that he is also demanding and more of a long ranger. I tend to be more collaborative, methodically, patiently and persistently pursuing the course I have set. I think I will do my best to keep my distance and go about my business. It seems to have worked thus far and I am more satisfied with the support I have been getting than others are. Perhaps it is that I have more realistic expectations, perhaps it is because I have quickly established more of a partnership with those involved. Whatever it is it seems to be working so if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home