Friday, December 23, 2005

The New Dodge Charger

December 23, 2005

Yesterday, I returned the Dodge Charger to the rental company. As I related in one of my first posts, this was a free upgrade when I discovered the temporary plates on the first car they had given me had expired. Not being a car person, I was not really aware that Dodge had recently re-introduced the Charger or that it was a big deal. This amazed the young black woman at the rental agency.

About a week after I arrived a colleague and I were on the way to pick up our badges. Short on time we headed through the Burger King drive through line. A woman two cars in front of us rolled down her window and asked “is that the new charger?”

A few days later when I drove out to Allen Parish to look at storefronts with the fellow from the Government Services Administration and a woman realtor, both commented on the car.

My first Saturday in Allen Parish, I stopped at a Christmas Tree Farm in Grant. There were a group of teenage boys helping to trim, bag and load the Christmas trees cut down by the customers. As I was walking back toward the car, two had wandered over to give it a closer look. They were both leaning over to give it a side-ways glance. Their pose was right out of a car commercial. As I walked up they quietly asked if it was my car. I told them it was a rental and they responded, “how fast have you gotten it up too?”

One day, I was in the Parish Offices when the Parish Treasurer / Office Manager and the Secretary came over. She asked me if that was my car out front. I told her it was a rental and she said that she and the secretary had been admiring it and had said “wow, he gets to drive the new Charger.”

Even the young men who came by the storefront this week to string the network cables were a bit awed that I had the chance to drive such a cool car. And these were just the more memorable comments I received not to mention the many long looks as I drove by.

In all honesty, it was a pretty nice car. It was comfortable, handled well, and it was powerful. I can’t say I am really into the muscle car design and the low roof line that made me have to bend down to see stop lights was a nuisance. All in all, however, driving the “new Dodge Charger” for a month was an interesting experience. Somehow I doubt I will be driving a celebrity car next month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home