Sunday, February 19, 2006

One Season to the Next

January 2, 2005

Twelve hours after leaving home I reached the Best Western Hotel in Kinder. I expected that the Christmas decorations would have been taken down and the lobby would be back to “normal.’ To my surprise the tree and garland were still in place. But things had changed. The red ribbons and bows were gone, replaced with green and purple Mardi Gras equivalents, the gold balls on the tree matching the gold trim on the new accessories.

Back home the decorations had immediately shifted from Christmas and New Year’s to Valentine’s Day. Here they skipped right past Valentine’s to Mardi Gras. I will be here for the celebrations. While not as hedonistic as in New Orleans, from what I understand each town and each parish – especially in Cajun country – has a celebration.

I did reach the hotel in time to witness the disappointing second half of Notre Dame’s loss in the Fiesta Bowl and get unpacked and turn in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home