Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Office Opens

Tuesday, January 3 – Wednesday, January 4, 2006

The day started in a rush. I set the clock for 6:45 am not realizing that the time on the clock was set 12 hours off. When I awoke and glanced at the clock I was stunned to see the number 8:15. I jumped out of bed quickly washed my hair and threw on some clothes. I then realized I couldn’t shave since my shaving cream was in the suitcase I had left at the office.

As I was packing my briefcase music emanated from the cell phone. Our National Guardsman Garrick was already at the storefront without keys and with the second person that had been assigned to the parish. I told him I would be there in about 15 minutes.

Downstairs I found Chris and told him I was going to simply grab a muffin and some juice and head up. He said he would follow soon.

Garrick and Terry were waiting in the beautiful sunshine next to their respective pickup trucks. Terry in camo and combat boots – not realizing that he could wear civilian clothes to this assignment.

The furniture was in place as we had sketched it out and the phones all worked. I called the IT folks and they said that they expected the DSL modem to arrive today or tomorrow and then they would come up to set things up. I then called Express Personnel. They said that our Administrative Assistants background check was completed very quickly and they would call her and tell her to report to work as soon as possible. Everything was starting off well.

We spent time putting the maps and such up on the walls. Then Pam arrived to start her new job. Her local knowledge was immediately put to work assisting us in developing the contacts database.

I had hoped to go back to the hotel at noontime with my left suitcase and shave. However, the folks in Sulfur informed me that they had received the modem and would be up within an hour. By 5:30 or so, the network, the printers, the fax machine and the three laptops in the office were all up and working. When we left after 6:00 pm it was with a feeling of solid progress.

Tuesday morning, Pam went down to Sulfur to pickup her badge, computer and cell phone. Unfortunately since Terry was a National Guardsman he had to drive all the way to Baton Rouge to get his things. Both were back shortly after noon.

Cliff arrived back mid morning and we were fully staffed. The IT folks were scheduled to come back Thursday to configure the three remaining laptops and then all we would be waiting on would be a copier.

We are already getting some walk-ins and following up on the letters sent out. Thursday and Friday there is a Parish Lead’s summit in Baton Rouge. Once that is over we can schedule the formal opening of the Store Front and the first public meeting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home